Tuesday 11 April 2006

Regrets

Are you doing what you want to be doing with your life?

I've talked to a few older people who look back at their life and wish they'd spent it differently. Many of them wish they'd spent less time trying to achieve, trying to be successful in business, trying to raise their reputation, buying bigger and bigger houses, better cars, the new boat... And they wish they'd spent more time with their family, with friends, doing things they enjoy, slowing down.

Some people really wanted to be in a rock band when they were young, or to be a writer, or to paint, or to be a carpenter, but it didn't earn enough, so they ignored their desires and spent their entire life doing something they didn't really enjoy.

What about your job at the moment? Do you enjoy it, or is it just to bring in more money? Do you really need more money?

It's surprising, but often the happiest people are those who are not well-off. The happiest people are not often the wealthiest, most successful. It's more often the people who are just doing what they were designed for.

And there is very good reason to slow down. We live our lives at such a fast pace. We work hard, and then work harder, and then get a second job and work harder still. And we don't spend time with our families, we stop going picnicking, stop camping, stop walking, stop enjoying life.

I love my wife, and we are happiest when we spend time together. And when our baby is born, I intend to spend as much time as I can with my child.

I choose not to centre my life around success and financial achievement. I choose to centre my life around relationships - with my family and friends. We don't always have a lot of money, but I'm sure when we get to the end of our lives, we won't regret it.

At least, that's what the old people say.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:09 pm

    "And when our baby is born...."
    does this mean a congratulations is in order?

    ReplyDelete