Thursday 13 April 2006

Fear

I wonder if we really give God enough credit?

It seems to me that most of us believe we are in control of everything - or at least most things. My success, my finances, my life - I think it all depends on me. We think that everything we've achieved in the world is because we are so clever, industrial, intelligent.

I think this is only half the picture - not even that. Actually, I think this is a miniscule bit of the picture. I think that God controls everything - my life, my money, my success, my circumstances, my possessions, my ambitions, my health....... Without God, I am nothing. Any creativity, passion, knowledge, wisdom, friends - anything I have - is because of God. He gives me life. He could quite literally take my breath away any second.

That scares me a little bit.

I think it would be fairly arrogant to believe that I am in control. Seriously, what control do I have over my life? I could be out driving today and a truck could total me. My house could catch on fire. Centrelink could send me a letter saying I need to pay them back four grand. I could already have cancer and not know about it. My boss could fire me. And on the upside, I could be randomly promoted. I could get a cheque today for four grand from an anonymous person. Someone could give me a car. My wife might fall pregnant (except that she already is...!). Any of these could alter my life totally, and I have no control over any of them.

Who is in control of all of life? Well, you could say no one is, which is a bit depressing. I choose to believe that God is.

For this reason, I think that we need to fear God a whole lot more than we do now.... myself included. I need to come to God trembling, the way I fear my boss - times infinity. This I think is the beginning of wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:12 pm

    Whay are we here though?

    "Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter:
    Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man."
    - Ecclesiastes 12:13

    Yes we should fear GOd, not because He wants to harm us but because His will is final and His Grace is all that saves us from eternal suffering.

    MDM

    ReplyDelete