Saturday 3 May 2008

Pray in May

I've decided to spend this month focussing on PRAYER.

I think this might be the most important thing lacking in my life at the moment. I mean, sure, I pray, but enough? I don't remember a time in my life when I thought to myself "Yes, I pray enough now." Maybe I'll never get to a time like that.

But I've just been bombarded over and over again in the last few months with the message of how important prayer is. I even preached a message myself on this exact topic.

I know it's important.

- Prayer brings us more in line with God's thoughts, feelings, actions.
- Prayer connects us with the creator of the universe, the only one who knows how it works best, the only one who knows how we work best, and how we're really going.
- And God also connects with us through prayer. When we pray, God can help us to see what our next move might be, or what we could focus on next.
- Prayer unleashes God's power. When we pray, God works. Simple as that. God answers prayer.

There are so many reasons why prayer might just be THE most important thing we could ever do.

But unfortunately, prayer is also very easily crowded out of our lives, and I think that's what's happened to me. So I'm trying to change that. I don't want to get to the end of my life and think, "Well, that was good, but God could have used me so much more if I'd only prayed more."

I've called this month "Pray in May". Tacky, I know. Well, at least it rhymes.

Every day I'm going to pray with Sacred Space (www.sacredspace.ie).
I'm going to try to pray every night with my wife before we go to sleep.
Next week I've organised that I will lead our small group meeting, and I'm going to make it a prayer night.
Sometime this month I think it might be good for me to have some kind of small retreat kind of thing, maybe just for half a day or something.
And I'm still thinking of something for the youth group - some kind of prayer night. Still working on that one.

Anyway, that's a few ideas. The other thing I'm going to try and do is a bit of journalling, just to write down the things that I'm praying, and things that God might be saying.

So here we go.

Pray in May. Should be a great month!

No comments:

Post a Comment