Tuesday 13 May 2008

Day 13 - Songwriting

Day 13, and I can say with excitement that praying with Tam at the end of the day is getting easier and easier and more and more normal.

At first it felt pretty weird. Sad to say, but we don't always talk about spiritual things in our everyday, round-the-house conversation. So it was a bit strange to say, "Ok, let's pray" and then start praying. But we've been doing it now for a bit over a week, and it's become a lot more of a normal everyday thing now. Nice. We'll keep going, then. This is great.

One other thing that I've been thinking about in my times with God over the last few months/years is how much I really want to write some worship songs. I love songwriting, and I love worship, and it's constantly in the back of my head - something I'm really passionate about. But for some reason, it just doesn't happen.

I think the killer for me is that creativity takes time... relaxed time. Lately, I've been so busy that there just hasn't been enough time for being creative at all, like writing songs. Busyness kills creativity. I used to get ideas for songs all the time, and I'd have to quickly write them down on whatever paper or serviette I could find at the time, so I would remember them later. But not so much in the last year. So I've been really trying this month to make sure I get my down time. Prayer time is great for refocusing like this.

And more good news! Since the start of the month, I've been coming up with more ideas for songs. I've discovered the voice recorder on my mobile - great for recording song ideas so I can remember them later! There are a few in there now. Of course, they might be rubbish, but at least they're in there.

If this was the only change that happened in the whole month of prayer, I'd be very happy. This is great stuff.

I'm really looking forward to what other things might come out of Pray in May (maybe a less dorky title for example..? We can only pray....).

No comments:

Post a Comment