Saturday 22 June 2013

Review: Sherlock Holmes and the Needle's Eye

I've often wished to be in a situation where someone might shout desperately "If only there were a theologian nearby!" And I could step up and modesty say "I am one. Maybe I can help." But I suppose that may never happen in real life. Ah well, much the pity.

I got to experience this a little while reading "Sherlock Holmes and the Needle's Eye" though. In this fiction book (provided by booksneeze.com) Holmes and Watson have procured a time machine which they use to travel backwards in history and solve ten Bible mysteries. There are discussion questions for each mystery at the end so groups can try to solve it before reading the solution. At various points as Sherlock and Dr Watson are deliberating I almost wished I was present so I could say "Oh I know that one!" But alas.

The book is clever. It's interesting to see some of the Bible events from a first-person perspective, like David and Goliath. And I enjoyed the banter between Holmes, the doctor and Mrs Watson. At some points it can get a little preachy, where the author is trying to teach theology at the same time. It feels less like the real Holmes and Watson at these points, but I see what the author is trying to do. Actually, I'd like to read a non-religious Sherlock Holmes book from this author. I like his style of writing. He captures the fun and intelligence of the characters brilliantly.

There are a couple of apocalyptic-style events that the author includes which feel really out of place. Even in the Bible I don't believe these are meant to be seen as happening in real life. And some of the "mysteries" are not quite as fascinating as Holmes' usual fare (eg "Why did Paul start his second missionary journey in Phillipi?" Why oh why). All in all I found it entertaining though.

There'll be a lot of church people who will like this book. But I wouldn't give it to non-Christian friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment