Friday 2 March 2012

Little Miss Dentist

I just saw a girl - looked like she was in her twenties, asian, I'm guessing a uni student - wearing this t-shirt. And I must say it worried me a little.

Now it's true that I've been to the dentist just this morning, and it's probably only because of this that I noticed the shirt in the first place. But am I wrong to think there's something amiss here?

Would you want this girl to be your dentist?

I remember Mark Sayers speaking about the Japanese culture of "cute" - I hope I'm explaining this right - flattening everything, including the deeper, important things into the cute and fluffy and trivial. At heart it's a bit of an avoidance of anything deep or potentially painful. "Oh it's nothing. Just a bit of fun. I'm not really serious about it."

And I must say, since hearing Mark say that, I have seen these ideas in our culture a lot.

Anyone else got some thoughts on this?

Have you seen this happening anywhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment