Monday 4 October 2010

Sorry

I just realised how arrogant the song "How Great is Our God" might sound if there were any non-Christian people listening, or people from other religions. I've used that song so many times when I've been leading worship, and I hadn't even thought about it in that light until now. I really hope I haven't offended anyone.

It makes me sick to think how many times we've offended people (in any number of different ways) without even knowing it. I really apologize for anything I've done in the past that's been arrogant or insulting. I wish I could apologize directly to the people who've been offended. I'm sure there are probably a few.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. Which part of the lyrics do you think sounds arrogant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mainly that line: "how great is our god." The problem is the "our." People from other religions have different gods, so from their perspective it could sound like we're comparing gods, and ours is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no fan of the song, either, but I'm a sour old man about that sort of thing. :)

    However, I don't think Christianity shies away from comparisons between deities. Like Judaism before it (and Islam after it) it's monotheistic, meaning only one God exists. It doesn't tend to argue for one supreme god over others.

    But dump the song if you like, and just focus on loving people. There's no law against love.

    ReplyDelete