Monday 19 July 2010

Why start a church? Pt II

Tam and I had known for months that my role as youth and families pastor in our previous congregation was going to be finishing up, so we had plenty of time to pray and search around for the next position. We expected that we would have our final Sunday service at the church, say an emotional goodbye to everyone, and then Monday morning I'd walk into my new position in another church. We knew that God had it all worked out - wherever it would be - so we were expecting he would organise everything to the right timing (our timing).

But the months went by, different positions came and went (none of which were right), our final Sunday came and went, Monday arrived, and we still had no idea what I was meant to be doing.

An unemployed pastor.

One week passed. No job.

Two weeks passed. Still no job.

And at the risk of being overly poetic, three weeks passed. Still no job.

And then a mate of mine who's a gardener and landscaper mentioned he had a couple days work for me if I wanted it. Not something I'd ever really done before, but I ended up enjoying working outside and helping make people's yards look good, like the team on Domestic Blitz. My friend generously kept giving me more work, a few days each week, and it's still going months later.

But this also created a small conundrum: why was God setting me up with work outside of a church? Why wasn't there a church that was right for us?

And then the church planting suggestions started coming....

No comments:

Post a Comment