Tuesday 13 January 2009

Temptation

I read Matthew 4 this morning, and I don't think I'd ever quite realised just how much of a temptation that last test must have been for Jesus.

The devil offered him everything - the whole world - and all Jesus had to do was just bend over and kiss the devil's feet. Such a simple offer. So easy. Could have been over in seconds. Done.

"Do this," the devil says, "And you can have the world right now. You won't have to go through any of the heartbreak later. No rejection. No persecution. No frustration of disciples who don't understand. No betrayal by your closest friends. No need to suffer the excrutiating pain of crucifixion. No abandonment by your Father.... I'm right here. It's easy. Just kiss my feet. Forget your Father's way. You don't have to do all that. This way's easier. I can give it all to you now."

And Jesus, even after 40 days without eating anything, as weak as he'd ever be, is still a solid rock of strength and character.

I want to be this strong. How much more quickly do I cave in to MY temptations! Pretty weak, really - and I eat every day and sleep on a comfy bed every night, let alone 40 hungry days in the desert.

Somehow, I need to figure out how to let Jesus' strength live in me more often, and more fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment