Tuesday 18 July 2006

Something Large

For a few years now I have had this sense that, if I could only reach just a little more, or run just a little harder, or jump just a little higher, or see just a little further, there would be a whole universe of wonder and glory, exploding with the sights, sounds and inexpressible thoughts of God. My deepest desire is to discover more of this infinity of God.

But I have also been getting the feeling lately that I won't get there by pushing harder or reaching further, but I might find it just by enjoying what I can of God in my own world - in the taste and aroma of my morning coffee, in the spontaneous kicks of my not-yet-born baby in my wife's tummy, in the honest lyrics of a talented musician - and maybe I will stumble onto a path to the God-universe.

Or maybe I will find that God's universe is not somewhere beyond my world at all, but has been here surrounding me all along...? Maybe.

This has got to be one of my all-time favourite songs, by the David Crowder Band, Mostly because of the opening verse. This is my life.

I'm so bored of little gods
While standing on the edge of
Something large
While standing here, so close to you
We could be consumed
What a glorious day

I give up, I lay down
Rest my face upon this ground
Lift my eyes to your sky
Rid my heart of all I hide

So sweet this surrender

How great your love for us
How great our love for you
That grace could cover us
How great your love

- "How Great", The David Crowder Band

No comments:

Post a Comment